Joined the Lions after spending his first three years in the NFL (2011-13) with the New Orleans Saints. Was the only rookie free agent to make the Saints’ opening day 53-man roster out of training camp in 2011 and has established himself as a reliable contributor in the secondary and on special teams.
- Pronunciation: EE-sa Ab-dool KA-doos
- Claimed off waivers by the Detroit Lions on February 3, 2014.
- Released by the New Orleans Saints on January 7, 2014.
- Signed by the New Orleans Saints as an undrafted rookie free agent on July 27, 2011.
Joined the Lions after spending his first three years in the NFL (2011-13) with the New Orleans Saints. Was the only rookie free agent to make the Saints’ opening day 53-man roster out of training camp in 2011 and has established himself as a reliable contributor in the secondary and on special teams
2014:Finished his first season with the Lions with 29 total tackles (19 solo), two pass defenses and four special teams tackles. Saw action in all 16 games, including four starts (three at SS, one at nickel CB).
- Started at strong safety and picked up five total tackles, four of which were solo, in Week 1 vs. New York Giants (9/8).
- Collected a career-best eight combined tackles and had one pass defense in Week 2 at Carolina (9/14).
- Made five tackles and had one pass defense in Week 3 vs. Green Bay (9/21).
- Saw action in a backup safety role and collected an assisted tackle on special teams in Week 4 at New York Jets (9/28).
- Had one tackle in a backup safety role in Week 5 vs. Buffalo (10/5).
- Participated in a backup safety role in Week 6 at Minnesota (10/12).
- Saw playing time in a backup safety role in Week 7 vs. New Orleans (10/19).
- Appeared in the game in a backup safety role in Week 8 at Atlanta (10/26).
- Participated in a backup safety role in Week 10 vs. Miami (11/9).
- Collected three solo tackles in Week 11 at Arizona (11/16).
- Had four solo tackles in Week 12 at New England (11/23).
- Made one special teams tackle in Week 13 vs. Chicago (11/27).
- Saw playing time in a backup safety role in Week 14 vs. Tampa Bay (12/7).
- Collected a solo tackle on special teams in Week 15 vs. Minnesota (12/14).
- Appeared in the game in a backup safety role in Week 16 at Chicago (12/21).
- Registered three tackles (one on special teams) and blocked one field goal in Week 17 at Green Bay (12/28). ➢ Posted one tackle in the NFC Wild Card game at Dallas (1/4).
2013: Saw action in 11 games in his third NFL campaign, finishing the season with seven tackles (six solo), one pass defense and six special teams tackles.
- Appeared in his first game of the season on Monday Night Football against Miami (9/30) and finished with two solo tackles.
- Logged his ninth career pass defense on the road at St. Louis (12/15).
2012: Played in 15 games with three starts at free safety during a breakout season in which he recorded 38 tackles (28 solo), two interceptions, seven pass defenses, a fumble recovery and seven special teams tackles. Started the final three games of the regular season after an injury to S Malcolm Jenkins.
- Had two tackles (one solo) one pass defense and his first-career fumble recovery vs. Philadelphia (11/5).
- Against QB Eli Manning and the New York Giants (12/9), grabbed his first-career interception and finished the game with three tackles (two solo) and two special teams tackles.
- Picked off QB Josh Freeman in his first start of 2012 against Tampa Bay (12/16).
- Started the final game of the season against Carolina (12/30) and earned three solo tackles and two pass defenses.
2011: Earned a spot on the team as an undrafted rookie free agent with the Saints and appeared in all 16 regular season games, logging one start at free safety. Concluded the season with seven tackles (six solo), one pass defense, three forced fumbles and 11 special teams tackles.
- In the home-opening win vs. Chicago (9/18), punched the ball loose from Bears WR Devin Hester on a punt return.
- Started his first NFL contest and posted four tackles and a forced fumble in the regular season finale vs. Carolina (1/1/12).
- Saw action in both playoff games, logging two tackles in the NFC Wild Card vs. Detroit (1/7/12) and registering one tackle and a special teams tackle in the NFC Divisional game at San Francisco (1/14/12).
Started two of his four years in the defensive backfield for Fordham and finished his career with 193 tackles, three interceptions, three sacks and 10 pass defenses.
- As senior, led the team with 78 tackles, three forced fumbles and six pass defenses.
- Graduated with a bachelor’s degree in accounting and finance.
Played his prep ball at Union (N.J.) High School where he was First Team All-County and Second Team All-State as a senior, contributing over 100 tackles in both his senior and junior seasons.
ABDUL-QUDDUS’ CAREER BESTS
- Tackles: 8 at Car 9/14/14
- Pass Defenses: 2 at NYG 12/9/12
- Interceptions: 1 (twice) Last vs. TB 12/16/12
- Long Interception Return: 12 at NYG 12/9/12
- Fumble Recoveries: 1 vs. Phi 11/5/12
- Forced Fumbles: 1 (three times) vs. Car 1/1/12
- Special Teams Tackles: 2 (four times) Last at NE 10/13/13
- Blocked Field Goal: 1 at GB 12/29/14