2011: Made season debut with the Lions at Chicago (11/13). Has 63 attempts for 321 yards (5.1 avg) and 4 touchdowns on the ground and 18 catches for 153 yards (8.5) and 2 touchdowns as a receiver.
- Smith rushed for career-high 140 yards (16 attempts; 8.8 avg.) and tied a career high with 2 rushing touchdowns vs. Carolina (11/20). He also caught 4 passes for 61 yards and a touchdown.
- His 201 total yards from scrimmage (140 rushing, 61 receiving) set a new career high as did his 3 total touchdowns (2 rush, 1 pass).
- In the second quarter, he registered a 43-yard run, which was the second longest of his career. His only longer run was a 50-yard run at Minnesota 10/12/08. He then took caught a pass on the next play and took it 28 yards for a touchdown. In back-to-back plays, Smith accounted for 71 yards from scrimmage and a touchdown (43-yard run, 28-yard pass).
- Gained 36 yards rushing and 21 yards receiving vs. Green Bay (11/24) before leaving the game with an ankle injury.
- Scored on 2-yard rushing touchdown at New Orleans (12/4).
- Inactive with an ankle injury vs. Minnesota (12/11).
- Led the team with 43 yards rushing at Oakland (12/18).
- Scored twice, once rushing and another receiving, in the win vs. San Diego (12/24). He carried the ball 15 times for 49 yards and caught 2 passes for 12 yards. third career game with 2+ touchdowns and second with both a rushing and receiving TD (both in 2011).
2010: Team’s back-up running back.
- Inactive for season opener at Chicago (9/12), vs. Philadelphia (9/19) and at Minnesota (9/26).
- Saw first game action of the season at Green Bay (10/3). Rushed for 12 yards on 3 carries, and caught 4 balls for 22 yards.
- Totaled 33 yards (16 rushing and 17 receiving) vs. St. Louis (10/10). Caught 17-yard pass over the middle from QB Shaun Hill to put the ball at the Rams 3-yard line with :21 left to play in half. The drive culminated in a touchdown and a 24-6 lead for the Lions.
- Rushed for 51 yards on 12 carries, and had two catches for 16 yards against Washington (10/31).
- Had one catch for 27 yards and added five carries for 10 yards against the New York Jets (11/7).
- Totaled 60 yards of total offense (19 rushing, 41 receiving) 9 touches at Buffalo (11/14).
2009: Registered 217 carries for 747 yards and five touchdowns (four rushing, one receiving) on the year. He also had 41 receptions for 415 yards. A knee injury suffered at Baltimore (12/13) sidelined Smith for the rest of the year. At the time of his injury, he ranked fifth in receiving yards among running backs.
- 20 yards and a touchdown in season opener at New Orleans (9/13). Smith now has 9 career touchdowns.
- Recorded 24 rushing attempts for 83 yards vs. Minnesota (9/20).
- Finished as the team’s leading rusher with 16 carries for 101 yards vs. Washington (9/27). It marked Smith’s third career 100-yard rushing game. Left game early with should injury.
- Rushed for two touchdowns of one and three yards respectively at Chicago (10/4) marking his first career multiple rushing touchdown game.
- Rushed for 53 of the team’s 110 total rushing yards vs. Pittsburgh (10/11).
- Tallied 94 yards of total offense (45 rushing, 49 passing) vs. St. Louis (11/1) before a shoulder injury slowed him down in the second half. Also registered the Lions first score on a safety. It was the first safety for the Lions since they blocked a punt out of the end zone vs. Green Bay (9/14/08).
- Carried the ball 13 times for 67 yards at Seattle (11/8) and had season-long run of 31 yards. Also caught two passes for 9 yards.
- Set a career-high with 104 receiving yards (on four catches) including his first career receiving touchdown on his way to a career-best 149 total yards vs. Cleveland (11/22).
- The 104-yard outing was the first by a Lions running back since Barry Sanders had 102 vs. Tampa Bay (9/7/97). It is the seventh highest single-game tally by a Lions running back since 1950.
- Scored on a 2-yard run at Cincinnati (12/6). It was his 12th rushing touchdown of his two-year career. He now has the third most rushing touchdowns by Lions’ second-year player in team history.
- Left the game at Baltimore (12/13) in the fourth quarter with a knee injury after carrying the ball 21 times for 69 yards and recording 2 catches for 19 yards.
2008: Was the team leader in rushing attempts (238), rushing yards (976), rushing average (4.2) and rushing touchdowns (8). Also fourth in the league among rookie rushers in yards and his eight rushing touchdowns were the third-highest tally by a rookie in Lions history.
- Started in professional debut at Atlanta (9/7), posting 16 carries for 48 yards and one touchdown. Also added 4 receptions for 32 yards.
- Started and recorded 10 carries for 40 yards and 4 receptions for 21 yards vs. Green Bay (9/14).
- Scored second career touchdown vs. Chicago (10/5) on 12-yard run.
- Broke for a career-high 50-yard run vs. Minnesota (10/12). It was the first time a Lions’ running back has done so since T.J. Duckett ran for a 53-yarder vs. Kansas City (12/23/07).
- Scored third touchdown of season on a 26-yard run. Finished the game with 10 attempts for 61 yards (6.1 avg).
- Rushed four times for 12 yards and caught a team-best seven catches for 50 yards vs. Washington (10/26).
- Had a career best 123 all purpose yards as he carried the ball 23 times for 96 yards and a touchdown and added one reception for 27 yards vs. Jacksonville (11/9/08).
- Recorded first 100-yard game of his career at Carolina (11/6), carrying the ball 24 times for 112 yards (4.7 avg.). Also added two receptions for 23 yards for a career-best 135 all purpose yards.
- Carried the ball 16 times for 86 yards (5.4 avg) vs. Tampa Bay (11/23).
- Recorded 119 all purpose yards (88 rushing, 31 receiving) including a 1-yard touchdown run at Indianapolis (12/14).
- Recorded second career 100+-yard game vs. New Orleans (12/21) on 24 carries for 111 yards and a touchdown. Smith now has seven touchdowns on the season, the third most by a Lions' rookie in team history.
COLLEGE: Established new school career rushing records with 905 carries for 4,864 yards (5.37 avg) and 45 touchdowns. His 4,864 yards rank second in Conference USA history; his 180 points scored in 2007 rank fourth on the NCAA season-record chart. During his junior campaign Smith set a major college record of 450 rushing attempts, topping the old mark of 405 carries by Marcus Allen (USC) in 1981 and falling just 62 yards shy of setting the NCAA season-rushing record of 2,628 yards set by former Lions great, Barry Sanders (Oklahoma State) in 1988.
- Led the nation in rushing in 2007, becoming the second player in NCAA major college annals to rush for over 2,500 yards in a season as a senior in 2007.
- All-Conference USA first-team choice and named co-Offensive Player of the Year while setting school and league records with 2,567 yards and 29 touchdowns, as his 450 carries (5.7 avg) set another NCAA season-record list. Also ranked third in the nation with 2,809 all-purpose yards, an average of 200.64 yards per game.
- As a sophomore, he was a second-team All-Conference USA selection, despite playing in just nine games.
- Led the team with 206 carries for 934 yards (4.5 avg) and seven touchdowns in 2006.
- As a true freshman, he earned Freshman All-American and Freshman All-Conference USA selection by the Gridiron Report. Set a school rushing record for freshman with 1,178 yards on 249 carries (4.7 avg) and nine touchdowns.
PERSONAL: Lettered three times in football at Southridge High School and was a two-time All-Dade County selection as both a running back and free safety, recording 53 tackles and four interceptions during his senior season.
- As a junior, he rushed for 1,125 yards and 15 touchdowns.
- He was a member of the school’s Academic Honor Roll.
SMITH’S SINGLE-GAME BESTS
- Rushing Attempts 28 at GB 12/28/08
- Rushing Yards: 140 vs. Car 11/20/11
- Long Rush: 50 at Min 10/12/08
- Touchdowns: 2 vs. Car 11/20/11
- Receptions: 7 vs. WAS 10/26/08
- Receiving Yards: 104 vs. Cle 11/22/09
- Receiving Touchdowns: 1 (three times) Last vs. SD 12/24/11
- Long Reception: 63t vs. Cle 11/22/09
- Total Yards: 201 vs. Car 11/20/11